SMALLHOLDER POULTRY MODEL
- Women from tribal and other poor families are organized into producer collectives.
- A collective typically has 500-1000 members with 30-50 farmers in one village.
- Poultry sheds are built on their homesteads
- This intervention provides a women Skills, infrastructure, inputs and marketing assurance.
- The co-operative is designed in such a way to allow seamless transition of non-producers to producers making them compete with large poultry farmers, and stand in the market. It provides all necessary services to the farmers: (i) access to high quality inputs and market, (ii) on-farm production supports, (iii) organise working capital, (iv) marketing of birds, (iv) risk mitigation from input and output price movements etc.
- A community-based supervisor provides round-the-clock production management and farm-support
- A professional manager trained in veterinary or management sciences is engaged by the cooperative as its chief functionary responsible for day-to-day management and operational business decisions. Manager is supported by Production Manager, Veterinarians, marketing executive, account staff etc.
- Poultry Management System based on Quality Assurance Systems approach provides a detailed systems and procedures for business decisions and helps in compliance and monitoring, this is supported by a customised accounts & MIS software.
- The cooperatives are further federated into state level secondary organizations. The federation passes on the benefits of: vertical integration, professional and technical support, economies of scale, increased bargaining power with external suppliers and regulators.
SMALLHOLDER BROILER MODEL
SMALLHOLDER LAYER MODEL
- Each Women has a broiler farm of 500-1000 birds.
- She can rear 5-6 batches in a year.
- Each woman earns around Rs.40,000-80,000/- in a year for 200 days (3-4 hours a day) of engagement
- Each Women has a layer farm of 400-500 birds.
- Each Bird may produce up to 320-340 eggs during the production life of next 52-60 weeks
- Each woman earns around Rs. 55,000-60,000/- annually from this activity with 3-4 hours of engagement/day.